Hello Everyone! If you’ve read my previous post on my experience with traveling to the Philippines & Thailand, you know that I was 1 of 3 people who got bit by a mosquito carrying Dengue Virus and I was the only one who did not come down with Dengue Fever. Out of the 17 people who we were traveling with, I was the only one who did not get sick with anything.
I attribute my wellness to the herbs that I brought with me on my trip, that I had been taking the entire time we were traveling (also praying lol). So, I decided to make this herbal complex available for those who are traveling abroad to countries where mosquito-born illness and parasites are common.
This is the ultimate travel supplement to protect your immune system…. I decided to name them Travel Insurance & Candida Protect!
Why It Works:
Every herb that is in Travel Insurance & Candida Protect has loads of scientific studies backing its efficacy on maintaining a healthy gut microbiome & supporting the immune system.
- Pumpkin Seed – Cucurbita Pepo Seed
Parasites & Worms
- Pumpkin Seeds have properties that have been shown in studies to inhibit drug-resistant parasites and roundworms in both humans and livestock.
2. European Barberry Root – Berberis Vulgaris & East Asian Barberry Root – Berberis Lycium
- An Anti-plasmodial drug is an anti-parasitic drug that is effective against Apicomplexan parasites in the genus Plasmodium. The genus contains over 200 species and includes those responsible for malaria.
- Studies on Barberry Root provide evidence for the medicinal use of this plant as a malaria remedy.
- In regards to Cutaneous Leishmaniasis, skin lesions that come from the bite of a parasite known as “sandflies”- Barberry Root showed that the root bark extract has good suppression effects on parasites. Therefore, it might be a pro for developing new antileishmanial drugs.
- Anticoccidial activity – Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract of animals caused by coccidian protozoa. The disease spreads from one animal to another by contact with infected feces or ingestion of infected tissue. Diarrhea, which may become bloody in severe cases, is the primary symptom.
- The most common coccidia found in dogs does not have any effect on humans. However, less common types of coccidia are potentially infectious to humans. One parasite, called Cryptosporidium, may be carried by dogs or cats and may be transmitted to people.
- There is increasing resistance of these parasites to currently used anti-coccidial drugs, so Barberry Root extract can possibly be an alternative.
- Sweet Wormwood – Artemisia Aannua
- Considering that for > 2000 years this plant was used in traditional Chinese medicine for the treatment of fever with no apparent appearance of artemisinin drug resistance, the evidence argues for the inclusion of sweet wormwood into the arsenal of drugs to combat malaria and other artemisinin-susceptible diseases.
Dengue & Malaria
- Malaria and Dengue are the two most important mosquito-borne human diseases caused by the mosquitos Anopheles stephensi and Aedes aegypti. Of the various strategies adopted for eliminating these diseases, controlling of Mosquitos through herbs has been reckoned as one of the important measures for preventing their resurgence.
- Scientific research into the anti-malarial activity of sweet wormwood began in the early 1970s in response to the increasing resistance to established anti-malarial drugs of the protozoan parasites which cause malaria ( Plasmodium species). The chemical artemisinin, which occurs naturally in the leaves of sweet wormwood, is a potent anti-malarial agent and can kill the most deadly malarial parasite
- Sweet wormwood strongly proved to be an effective insecticide that specifically targeted both species of mosquito that carry Dengue and Malaria in the larval life stage.
- Even using the essential oils of wormwood are eco-friendly, safer potent sources of natural larvicide against the mosquitos carrying Dengue.
Caution: If you have a Seizure disorder, please consult your doctor before using this product. Sweet wormwood contains the compound “Thujone,” which is a Central Nervous System stimulant. I have a history of Epilepsy & I am on no medications. And although this supplement was not problematic for me, always consult your physician first.
- Gentian Root – Gentiana
Anti-Inflammatory & Anti-Bacterial
- It is a common Tibetan medicinal herb used for the treatment of tonsillitis, urticaria, and Rheumatoid Arthritis, while the flowers have been used as a Mongolian herb for curing cough sore throat and eliminating the phlegm due to its anti-inflammatory effect.
- Gentian Root showed to inhibit the inflammatory cascade caused by bacterial endotoxin Lipopolysaccharides (LPS). This is also a common endotoxin in those with Leaky Gut.
Results also demonstrated the anti-viral properties against pathogens that commonly cause respiratory infections.
5. Oregon Grape Root – Mahonia aquifolium
Anti-Bacterial, Fungal, and Protazoa
- Exhibit antimicrobial activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, fungi, and protozoa.
- Exhibited antimicrobial activity against acne, staphylococci, and candida – antifungal and antibacterial properties against localized skin and mucosal infections.
- Ginger Extract -Zingiber officinale
Ginger is an important kitchen spice and also possess myriad health benefits. used since antiquity in the various traditional systems of medicine to treat arthritis, rheumatism, sprains, muscular aches, pains, sore throats, cramps, hypertension, dementia, fever, infectious diseases, catarrh, nervous diseases, gingivitis, toothache, asthma, stroke, and diabetes. Ginger is also used as a home remedy and is of immense value in treating various gastric ailments like constipation, dyspepsia, belching, bloating, gastritis, epigastric discomfort, gastric ulcerations, indigestion, nausea and vomiting, and scientific studies have validated the ethnomedicinal uses.
Worms & Parasites
- Eliminated roundworm numbers and cytokines production. Ginger also reduced spontaneous parasite movement and killed parasite larvae.
- Goldenseal Root – Hydrastis Canadensis
GI Infections & Inflammation
- Significant antimicrobial activity against a variety of organisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoans, helminths, and chlamydia. Currently, the predominant uses include bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasite infections, and ocular trachoma infections.
Enhances Effect of Other Anti-microbials
- Goldenseal root act synergistically to enhance the efficacy of other antimicrobials against pathogenic bacteria
8. Bromelain and Peptidase
- These are digestive enzymes that help to break down your foods and improve digestion.
Candida or Yeast overgrowth most commonly occurs in the mouth, ears, nose, toenails, fingernails, gastrointestinal tract and vagina. I took this one as well as the Travel Insurance with me on my travels. I do recommend taking them both together for maximum protection (because that is what I did and it worked for me). Although, Candida Protect can be used on its own to help balance out the gut flora and eliminate candida overgrowth.
- Grapefruit Seed – Citrus paradis
- Grapefruit seed extract was first discovered by Jacob Harich an American immunologist in 1980.
Grapefruit seed extract contains flavonoids, possesses antibacterial and anti-oxidative properties. It was found to exert a potent antifungal activity against the yeast like fungi strains. GFS also was shown to exert a potent gastro-protective activity against gastric lesions.
Urinary Tract Infections
- Grapefruit seeds taken orally for 2 weeks successfully treated UTIs caused by 3 different types of bacteria: Klebsiella, Staph & E. Coli. The GFS also caused the reversal of the antibiotic resistance pattern after 2 weeks of treatment. This confirmed the antibacterial characteristic of dried or fresh grapefruit seeds & is comparable to that of proven antibacterial drugs. *Holy cow*
- GFS exhibited the strongest antimicrobial effect against Salmonella & yeasts.
2. Black Walnut Hull – Juglans nigra
Anti-Candida, Parasite, Fungal
- One of the key active components of the black walnut hull is juglone. Juglone has been shown to inhibit a broad spectrum of microorganisms including bacteria, candida, algae, and fungal infections. Studies have observed that black walnut can also expel H. Pylori & parasitic worms from the body!
- According to the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, black walnut is effective against ringworm, tapeworm, pin or threadworm, and other parasites of the intestine.
3. Slippery Elm Bark – Ulmus rubra
- Slippery Elm has been used traditionally to treat coughing, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal tract diseases by Native Americans. It also helps in the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease because of its antioxidant properties. It also aids in improving digestion.
4. Goldenseal Root – Hydrastis Canadensis (again)
- Goldenseal root contains a phytochemical compound called – Berberine. In some studies, it was shown that berberine extract has significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses, protozoa, fungi, and yeasts.
5. Bearberry Leaf – Arctostaphylos uva ursi
Urinary Tract Health
This is also known as Uva ursi. This leaf contains antiseptic & antibacterial properties mostly used for urinary tract health. Combats Candida and streptococcus.
*I stand by everything I post about & recommend 100%. I make sure that any supplements I recommend are from reputable sources/companies that check each batch of raw materials to ensure quality and purity standards. And also to make sure that what is on the label is in the product.*
Sources for Travel Insurance:
Sources for Candida Protect: